Tuesday 31 July 2012

A good summery cake for all

I FORGOT to take a photo of this cake when I finished it but I think the photo I took shows the proof is in the pudding! I made it for my niece's Christening and seemed to go down well.
It is another Olive recipe. That magazine is a winner and I would recommend it for any food lovers.
This time I made a Raspberry and Apricot Ripple cake. It's quite easy to make and I had Tom's help too.
The recipe is:
175g butter
175g golden caster sugar
3 eggs
225g self raising flour
1 tsp baking powder
4 tbsp creme fraiche
1 tsp vanilla extract
250g raspberries
Topping:
500ml whipping cream
200g mascarpone
2 tbsp icing sugar
1 jar apricot jam

The oven goes to 180c/ fan 160C/ gas 4.
I butter and lined a 23cm springform cake tin.
Then you beat together the butter and sugar. Add the eggs in one at a time, and when I do this I always add a tbsp of flour. Then fold in the rest of the flour. Add the baking powder and when it is all mixed in beat in the creme fraiche and vanilla. Fold in the raspberries. I tried not to break the raspberries up too much.
Spoon into the tin and then level. Bake for 50-60minutes. I took it out after 50 minutes and afterwards I wasn't sure if the very middle was cooked but it seemed ok even if it did collapse a bit- I just filled it in with the topping!
Cool in the tin for five then tip out to cool.
For the topping whisk the cream with the mascarpone. Add the icing sugar and then add the apricot jam and swirl it in. I didn't use the whole jar as it was quite apricoty!
The dollop it on the top and it makes a very summery morish cake. Give it a go.

No comments:

Post a Comment