Thursday 12 July 2012

Phew! Holiday eating out from Porthcawl to the New Forest

I was off work last week and went to Porthcawl with my parents and enjoyed some very good meals! On the Tuesday we went to The Jolly Sailor in Newton, Porthcawl. We sat in the bar area, which was friendly and homely. The landlord told us their emphasis was serving home cook food and told us there may be a slight delay as it is all cooked onsite.
Beef and chorizo pie

Waffle goodness

Both Dad and I went for the chorizo and beef pie, which are provided from a deli in Cardiff. It was served with chips and green beans. The pie was delicious with a peppery crust and plenty of meat in the filling. The chips were crunchy and cooked well and you could tell the green beans were fresh. All very good and very filling! So filling I could only have a bite of mum’s pudding of waffles with toffee sauce and icecream, which was also really nice.
Chicken and ham pie
The next day we went to a National Trust property called Dinefwr House and Castle. I find National Trust restaurants always do good food and this did not disappoint! I had another pie (fatty boom boom) and went for the chicken and ham pie served with new potatoes, carrots and peas. My parents had the lamb version. The peas and carrots tasted like they had just come from the garden as they were so fresh and flavoursome and the pie, as the picture shows, was really thick and tasty.
Calamari
Then the following day I was treated to dinner out again when we went to The Pelican in Her Piety at Ogmore-By-Sea. I would definitely recommend this pub. It had friendly staff, warm decor and a good menu. There is a tapas menu and then they update the specials board regularly of which there are about 15 options.
Cajun chicken
I had calamari for starters, with a garlic dip. It was huge portion and was from the tapas menu. It was a bit pricey (£7.95) for a starter but was very tasty. The squid was a bit tough, but I don’t actually mind this too much although some people won’t like it. Then for the main course I had a huge portion of Cajun chicken marinated in yoghurt and Cajun spices, with thick chips, salad and onion rings. It was such a big portion I really struggled but was really good. Mum had hake, which she loved and dad enjoyed his lamb burger. For starters they had king prawns and sardines- all very good. This is a great pub and the house red is also very nice. I had to go home for a lie down.
Venison burger
Not content with eating out three times in one week Tom and I ate out on the Saturday when we were camping in the New Forest. We stayed at the Ashurst campsite, which has the Forest Inn an easy stroll away. I was quite controlled for once and only had a main course. I went for the venison burger, with homemade chips. Venison makes a good burger. It has a strong flavour but is not overbearing. Tom went for good ol’ fish and chips- also good! The comfortable surroundings made a welcome break from the rain and this pub has a good range of drinks.
Phew! What a week of eating out. Also discovered strawberry and cream mini cupcakes by The Fabulous Bakin’ Boys. These are lush! And easy to pop in your mouth. Nom nom nom. Available from all good supermarkets J

No comments:

Post a Comment