Saturday 5 January 2013

December eating from Italian in London to Vegetarian in Bristol

Kino Burger
I thought I would do a roundup of all the places I have eaten in December. I can’t remember all of the names, ooops, but here are some recommendations of those I can:
At the start of the month I went to the High Wycombe Cricket Club for lunch with Tom’s family. Perhaps not known as a place to eat I impressed and the slight problem is it is a members club. I had a bit of a hangover and they do a Sunday lunch, including dessert, for £6.95. I went for the pork which seemed good quality and not too fatty, and comes with a big selection of vegetables and it was all really good. Then for dessert I had a toffee fudge sundae which was rich and sweet- just as I like it.
Then the next Friday Tom and I went into London.  In the evening we went to an Italian restaurant in Wimbledon called La Nonne (www.lanonne.co.uk)
For starters I shared Calamari Fritti e Zucchini (deep fried squid rings served with tartar sauce and courgettes) £7.95. It was really good. The squid was cooked really well and went perfectly with the zucchini. Then for the main course I demolished a Calzone, which was folded pizza with tomato, mozzarella, mushrooms, ham and spicy salami (£10.95). It was huge and really good. The House red wine for £13.95 is also a winner. I thought some of it was slightly overpriced but it was good food.  
The next day I went to Noodle Nation where I had the chicken katzu curry with seafood and egg fried rice.  This is one of my favourite dishes as it is not too greasy, as it can sometimes be. The curry is a bit like the Home pride sauce you get in the tin, but a bit spicier. A good dish.
The next week I went to Wetherspoons in Henley with Lucy. Not a top place to eat but I had the Mexican Burger, which was surprisingly good. The chicken was cooked well and the salsa was really nice. The chips were good too.
On the Wednesday I went to Bristol and met Kat, where we went to Cafe Kino. It is a vegetarian cafe with a casual feel with high stools and a canteen style serving area. You have to peer above their heads to look at the menu. I went for the Kino burger with sweet potato fries and homemade slaw. It was delicious. I do love a good veggie burger and this was it. The consistency wasn’t too mushy and was full of flavour. The sweet potato fries were a good crispness and the slaw was nice and fresh. It was about £6, which I thought was reasonable.
In the evening I went to Zam Zam’s  in Ross-on-Wye with H, Bex and Jem for our Christmas meal. It was really good value- £9.99 for a starter, main course, rice or naan and poppadums. The staff were friendly and clearly a popular destination as the restaurant was busy. For starter I had prawn pil pil, which were prawns in a slightly spicy tomatoey sauce in a flat pancake. It was delicious and not like the usual Indian starter. I then went for a tandoori style curry with an onion and tomato sauce which was not too rich, and the naan was fluffy and huge! I was stuffed afterwards.
On the Monday I went to the cafe called Pots and Pieces in Ross-on-Wye for lunch with Ruth and Martin. It was a lovely little cafe. I had the chicken and bacon sandwich in mustard dressing and it was delicious, served with Tyrrells crisps. We then shared some of the sticky chocolate slice, which was just as good. A great little find and one I would recommend.
The rest of the time was lovely home cooked food, which I thoroughly enjoyed. Now where’s that New Year diet?

No comments:

Post a Comment