Thursday 24 April 2014

A decadent dessert: Chocolate chiffon Maltesers cake

WHEN one of my brothers saw this cake he asked me if I always look for the richest cake I can find. I really don't but as I had given up chocolate for Lent, when I was looking what to make for dessert on Easter Day my eyes were drawn to this cake. And it didn't disappoint. The cake was moist- even my mother who doesn't like chocolate cake liked it. The icing was delicious and the added extra of the Maltesers was just right. You only need a very small slice! It is quite easy to make. I would definitely recommend!

Ingredients:
Eggs, 6, separated
Cream of tartar 1/2 tsp
Cocoa 60g
Plain flour 260g
Golden caster sugar 360g
Bicarbonate of soda 11/2 tsp
Table salt 1 tsp
Vegetable oil 125ml
Vanilla extract 2 tsp

Buttercream icing
Slightly salted butter 500g, at room temperature
Icing sugar 200g
Drinking chocolate 50g
Milk 2 to 3 tbsp
Maltesers 5x135g pouches (I used less than this- about 500g)

Line the bottom and sides of a 23cm cake tin with baking paper. Heat the oven to 180C/ fan 160C/ gas 4. Beat the egg whites and cream of tartar until stiff. Put the remaining cake ingredients into a separate bowl with 190ml water and blend to a rich, thick chocolate mixture. Fold in the egg whites. Don't beat the mixture, as you want to keep the egg whites fluffy. Just fold and fold and fold.
When the mixture has no more visible white streaks, pour it into a tin. Bake for approximately one hour. When it is ready it will feel spongy and there will be a soft crust on the top. Cool IN the tin for about 10 minutes. Then turn it out, peel off the paper and cool on a wire rack.
Put the buttercream ingredients into a large bowl and beat until really soft, creamy and fluffy. If you need it to be softer just add a spoon of milk and mix again.
Ice the cake in an even layer. Starting at the bottom of the cake, working your way around, take one Malteser at a time and push them into the icing. Then add the next layer. Keep going until you get to the top and then circles, and work you way into the middle until the whole cake is covered.

No comments:

Post a Comment