Friday 25 April 2014

Cod with lemon, tarragon and creme fraiche

I HAD  a lovely Nigel Slater book given to me for Christmas and I decided by the end of January it was about time I made something out of it. I cooked for my family the cod, thyme and lemon recipe, which was very easy to cook and took me only about 30 minutes in all.
I pretty much followed the recipe down to a T, although I used dried thyme as I couldn’t find any fresh.

The result it a tangy yet creamy sauce, with the added punch of the delicious salty capers. The fish is perfectly cooked. I served it with potatoes, courgettes and green beans. For pudding I did mango, passion fruit, crumbled meringue and double cream whipped- an exotic Eton mess.

Put 350g cod fillet, cut from the thick end of the fish, into a large shallow pan with the juice of 2 lemons and 40g butter. Chop half a small bunch of tarragon and add to the pan with a bay leaf and 6 black peppercorns. Bring to the boil, lower the heat, cover with a lid and simmer for about 10 minutes, till the fish if opaque. Remove the fish with a fish slice and keep warm.
Chop the rest of the bunch of tarragon and add it to the pan with a teaspoon of capers and 3 tablespoons of creme fraiche. The creme fraiche will turn a little grainy where it meets the lemon juice, no matter. Spoon the sauce over the fish.

This recipe serves two and is from eat, the little book of fast food, by Nigel Slater.


No comments:

Post a Comment